Transitioning Young Adults
Project SEARCH is a work training program for young adults with developmental and physical disabilities. Through a total workplace immersion, Project SEARCH facilitates a seamless combination of classroom instruction, career exploration, on-the-job training and assistance pursuing entry level placements.
- Project SEARCH Seacoast NH provides real-life work experience combined with training in employability and independent living skills
- The goal for each student is competitive employment within the community
About Program Specifics
- The program starts in September and ends in May. There are three 10-12 week internship rotations (about 200 hours of work).
- Each student interviews for an internship rotation placement.
- A career trainer works with the student until the tasks assigned can be performed independently. The time and instruction are individualized.
- Students are evaluated by the career trainer, the instructor and the department supervisor.
- The program runs Monday through Friday from 9 am to 3 pm.
- Each day interns spend one and a half hours in the classroom and four hours at their internship
- At the end of the day, students regroup with the teacher to discuss their day and other important items.
- The classroom and internships of Project SEARCH Seacoast NH are located at Portsmouth Regional Hospital and other businesses in Portsmouth.
Career Opportunities In
- Clerical Office Support
- Food & Nutrition
- Materials Handling & Distribution
- Rehabilitation Services
- Retail – Gift Shop
- Operating Room Support
The Goal: Independent adult working in a competitive environment
- Students can be employed at any time during the school year
- The team, which includes the student, family, Project SEARCH instructor, career trainer, affiliated school or agency representative and vocational rehabilitation counselor, meets regularly to discuss progress and issues at work sites
- The team assists each student in defining a career goal
- 18-29 years old
- Ready to transition to employment
- Completed high school credits necessary for graduation
- Able to arrange own transportation
- Eligible for NH VR services
- Display appropriate social and hygiene skills
- Appropriate behavior and social skills in the workplace
- Ability to work in an internship without one-on-one support, only natural supports
- Updated immunizations
- Pass drug screening and criminal background checks
Project SEARCH Seacoast NH is located at Portsmouth Regional Hospital and is one of five programs of its kind in NH. Great Bay Community College is the educational provider. Community Partners, Portsmouth Regional Hospital and NH Vocational Rehabilitation collaborate to provide this unique opportunity to the NH seacoast region.
Download the following PDFs:
- Information Sheet (PDF)
- Entrance Criteria (PDF)
- Application Timeline (PDF)
- Application (PDF)
- Reference Form 1 / Reference Form 2 (PDF)
- Criminal Record Release Authorization Form (PDF)
- Tuition and Fees (PDF)
- Scholarship Opportunities (PDF)
More About Project Search
Upcoming Zoom Info Sessions
- November 17, 2021
- January 19, 2021
- February 16, 2022
- April 20, 2022
- May 18, 2022
RSVP by emailing GreatBayBTC@ccsnh.edu.
Still Not Sure?
Learn more about the Project Search program by contacting the Business and Training Center through Email or by phone 603-334-2068.