Financial Aid at Great Bay
Below you will find financial aid information, policies, resources, and FAQs.
Financial Aid FAQs
Financial Aid comes in three forms, and students may receive any or all these forms of aid:
- Grants, which do not have to be repaid
- Loans, which must be repaid
- Work Study, part-time jobs from which a student earns an hourly wage
Visit StudentAid.gov – Loan Repayment for information on loan repayment.
If you can answer any of the following questions with a YES, then you are considered an independent student. Independent students are not required to provide parental information.
- Were you born before January 1, 1999?
- Are you married?
- Are you serving, or have you served, in the U.S. armed forces?
- Do you have dependents that you support?
- At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
- Has it been determined by a court in your state of legal residence that you are an emancipated minor or that someone other than your parent or stepparent has legal guardianship of you? (You also should answer “Yes” if you are now an adult but were in legal guardianship or were an emancipated minor immediately before you reached the age of being an adult in your state. Answer “No” if the court papers say “custody” rather than “guardianship.”)
- At any time on or after July 1, 2021, were you determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless, as determined by (a) your high school or district homeless liaison, (b) the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or (c) the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program?
Best to File By
March 15, 2022
June 1, 2022
October 1, 2022
The FAFSA will be sent to Great Bay Community College electronically. The financial aid office will contact you with the next step in the process.
Some students are randomly selected for verification. This requires you to complete a verification worksheet as well as supplying any additional documentation requested by the college.
Review the status of all requirements on the ‘Financial Aid Status’ page of the Student Information System (SIS). Log into SIS at https://sis.ccsnh.edu, select ‘Financial Aid,’ then ‘Financial Aid Status’.
Read your aid offer carefully and review Sources of Aid for more information about the types of aid offered.
Call us if you have questions about your eligibility.
Contact the Onestop for personalized assistance.
Try to borrow only what you need to cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies.
Consider a Federal Work Study job instead of borrowing
Complete loan requirements:
First time borrowers at Great Bay are required to visit studentaid.gov to complete both the Entrance Counseling and Loan Agreement (MPN).
Log into SIS and complete the financial aid acceptance process (Guide to Accepting Aid Online PDF) and answer yes to the first question on the Resources/Additional Information tab.
When the book advance becomes available (check Registration Policies and Deadlines sheet at Registration Documents & Forms for dates) you should have the option to use financial aid to pay for your books at the Great Bay Bookstore. Note that for summer semester you will also need to contact GBFinAid@ccsnh.edu before you will be able to use financial aid to purchase your books.
For help using the financial aid option on the Great Bay Bookstore Website, please contact the Great Bay Bookstore at firstname.lastname@example.org. For other assistance, please contact our financial aid office at GBFinAid@ccsnh.edu.
If you accept an amount that exceeds your semester charges, you may be eligible to receive a financial aid refund.
Refunds are issued 2 weeks after the funds are posted to your account. See the Registration Policies and Deadlines to find when disbursements for your class are scheduled to begin.
You can view the actual disbursement date using the Student Information System.
You can also use the Student Information System to change your refund method following these Electronic Refund Instructions. If you do not choose a method, the refund will be mailed to you as a check.
Important Policies and Disclaimers
- Make note of your term’s Deadline to drop with 100% refund Registration Documents & Forms.
- Consult with us if you plan to change your schedule. Registration changes almost always affect your financial aid eligibilty. We can help you plan if you call us before adding or dropping classes.
- You must attend class to be eligible for financial aid payment. If you fail to appear for a course and are issued a grade of “N/A” then financial aid will not pay for the course, and you will be responsible for the course charges.
- Every full term has its own freeze date on the Registration Policies and Deadlines form (Registration Forms & Documents).
- Pell Grant, SEOG, and Unique Scholarship are calculated based on your registered credits each term as of the freeze date, and your grant funds will be disbursed according to that enrollment status.
- If you add a class after the freeze date, your grants will not be increased to pay for the additional credits.
- If you drop a class after the freeze date, your grants may not be reduced, unless you drop a class for a full refund, or you are issued a grade of “N/A.”
- Financial Aid funds will be disbursed to your GBCC student account beginning about 30 days after your enrollments starts.
- We print the earliest dates in the Registration Policies and Deadlines form (Registration Forms & Documents).
- Disbursements for late start terms are delayed until after the add/drop period has closed. This means that certain financial aid funds may not be disbursed to you until well after the midpoint of the semester.
The Financial Aid Office at Great Bay Community College is on the first floor of the Portsmouth campus in The College Services One Stop suite.
Monday to Friday
8:00AM to 4:00PM
Financial Aid Office
Great Bay Community College
320 Corporate Drive
Portsmouth NH 03801
Phone: (603) 427-7600 Ext. 7501
Fax: (603) 334-6308
Susan Proulx, Director
Andrew Savage, Assistant Director
Tyler Anderson, Financial Aid Assistant
of students receive financial aid