Are you the party planner extraordinaire? If you love working with people, enjoy planning social events, and are creative and detail oriented, you should consider this rapidly growing field. The job possibilities are endless.
Why Great Bay?
Portsmouth is a premier tourism destination which offers us direct access to a wide range of real-world experiences. From behind-the-scenes tours of hotels to participating in local events, you’ll not only gain valuable experience, but begin to develop your own professional network connecting you to a variety of job possibilities.
Choose to do an internship close to home, over the summer or away at Disney for the semester! Internships provide many valuable benefits including the opportunity to:
- “test drive” your new career to ensure it’s the one for you before you graduate
- build confidence in your skills and build a great resume
- gain hands-on experience in the field while you earn college credit
- develop your professional network prior to graduation
- transition to a permanent job after graduation
Save time and money by maximizing your Great Bay transfer credits at the following institutions:
- University of New Hampshire (3.5 GPA or better earns a $10,000 scholarship)
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Granite State College
In several of your courses, you’ll have the opportunity to earn industry-recognized certifications:
- Cvent Certification, event planners
- Amadeus Delphi Certification, sales and catering managers
- Servsafe Certification, food protection managers
- TIPS Certification, safe alcohol service training
- Hotels, resorts, casinos and country clubs
- Wedding and event planners
- Conference and convention centers
- Restaurants and catering operations
- Event management companies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Breweries and wineries
Note: With Department Chair approval, one certificate course requirement may be replaced with H02275G Professional Development.
Total Credits: 21
- HOS211G Sports and Recreation Tourism
- HOS111G Tourism and Sustainable Practices
- HOS175G Hospitality Marketing and Sales
- HOS201G Tour and Cruise Operations
- HOS202G Educational Travel Experience
- HOS225G Hospitality Law
- HOS250G Event Planning
- HOS215G Planning Meetings & Conventions
- HOS230G Restaurant Development & Strategic Planning
- HOS235G Food & Beverage Operations
- HOS244G Introduction to the Spa Industry
- HOS255G Catering Sales & Event Management
- HOS275G Professional Development
- HOS280G Hospitality Internship
Students must be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Communicate effectively using written and oral techniques, including the use of technology;
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner;
- Work independently and in teams;
- Work with frequent interruptions, respond appropriately to unexpected situations, and cope with variations in workload and stress levels.
• Identify the fundamental components, historical developments, and current and future trends of the global hospitality industry.
• Explain the significance of the guest-host relationship inherent to the hospitality industry and the strategies used to achieve service excellence.
• Display the necessary written and oral communication skills required to be successful in the hospitality industry, including nonverbal techniques and an appreciation of cultural differences.
• Realize and appreciate the importance of professional, ethical, legal, and social issues and responsibilities related to the hospitality industry.
• Demonstrate a solid understanding of effective hospitality sales, marketing, and management practices.
• Develop and apply problem solving, decision making, team building and critical thinking skills to practical hospitality management situations.
• Broaden career perspectives and enhance personal and professional development opportunities for a successful career in the hospitality industry.
• Qualify for transfer to a four-year college or university having completed the necessary requirements in hospitality, business, and general education for upper level study in Hospitality Management.