If keeping up with the latest trends in food, travel, and events is part of your everyday life, then consider making it your job! Hospitality touches us all almost every day in our hometowns and around the world. If helping people sounds rewarding to you, then you’ve got the passion to succeed in this fast-growing field. No office cube for you! Tap into your creativity. Create memorable guest experiences that inspire you to make a difference every day.
Why Great Bay?
Portsmouth is a premier tourism destination that offers direct access to a wide range of real-world experiences and serves as our extended classroom. From behind-the-scenes tours of hotels to participating in local events, you’ll not only gain valuable experience, but begin to develop your own professional network connecting you to a variety of exciting job possibilities.
- Hotels, resorts, casinos and country clubs
- Wedding and event planners
- Convention and visitor services
- Restaurants and catering operations
- Breweries and wineries
- Airlines and cruise lines
- Online travel agencies and tour operators
- Ski resorts and recreation facilities
- Spas and wellness centers
- Hotel/Restaurant Management Certificate
- Event and Meeting Planning Certificate
- Spa and Wellness Management Certificate
Choose to do an internship close to home, over the summer or away at Disney for the semester! Internships provide many valuable benefits including the opportunity to:
- “Test drive” your new career to ensure it’s the one for you before you graduate
- Build confidence in your skills and build a great resume
- Gain hands-on experience in the field while you earn college credit
- Develop your professional network prior to graduation
- Transition to a permanent job after graduation
Save time and money by maximizing your Great Bay transfer credits at the following institutions:
- University of New Hampshire (3.5 GPA or better earns a $10,000 scholarship)
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Granite State College
In several of your courses, you’ll have the opportunity to earn industry-recognized certifications:
- Cvent Certification, event planners
- Amadeus Delphi Certification, sales and catering managers
- Servsafe Certification, food protection managers
- TIPS Certification, safe alcohol service training
- AHLEI’s Managing Front Office Operations Certificate
Program Specific Requirements
Students must be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Communicate effectively using written and oral techniques, including the use of technology;
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner;
- Work independently and in teams;
- Work with frequent interruptions, respond appropriately to unexpected situations, and cope with variations in workload and stress levels.
- Identify the fundamental components, historical developments, and current and future trends of the global hospitality industry.
- Explain the significance of the guest-host relationship inherent to the hospitality industry and the strategies used to achieve service excellence.
- Display the necessary written and oral communication skills required to be successful in the hospitality industry, including nonverbal techniques and an appreciation of cultural differences.
- Realize and appreciate the importance of professional, ethical, legal, and social issues and responsibilities related to the hospitality industry.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of effective hospitality sales, marketing, and management practices.
- Develop and apply problem solving, decision making, team building and critical thinking skills to practical hospitality management situations.
- Broaden career perspectives and enhance personal and professional development opportunities for a successful career in the hospitality industry.
- Qualify for transfer to a four-year college or university having completed the necessary requirements in hospitality, business, and general education for upper level study in Hospitality Management.