Build on your previous success in areas of technical expertise in this individualized course of study. Receive credit for recognized technical experience, certification, and training, then add electives selected carefully with an advisor, that complement your technical specialties. This program is designed to provide you an opportunity to earn an associate degree in an area not otherwise offered at the College. Students coming from or dully enrolled in recognized apprenticeship programs or certificate programs in a technical field, including advanced manufacturing or industry and transportation, receive credits toward this associate degree in Technical Studies.
Why Great Bay?
- Earn a valuable degree tailored to your specific needs, interests, and career goals.
- Select technical electives that add a depth of understanding to your area of expertise.
- Develop knowledge, skills, and attitudes to help you progress in your career.
- Learn from qualified instructors with industry experience in addition to teaching experience.
The Technical Studies program provides pathways for skilled workers to earn Associate Degrees by offering credit for recognized, technical specialties. The program allows students to build on previous success in areas of technical expertise through the choice of electives that complement the technical specialties. The Technical Studies degree is designed as an individualized program of study in an area not otherwise offered at the College. Students from recognized apprenticeship programs or students with certificates in technical fields (in areas for which we do not offer degrees) may complete the Associate’s degree in Technical Studies. Students with industry training and certifications equivalent in hours to 24 credits and documented by certification exams may be receive credit for the Technical Specialty core. Credit will be awarded through the College’s Credit for Prior Learning-Experiential Learning process. Fees apply.
GBCC Certificates commonly used with this degree:
Total Overall Credits : 60
*Credit hours may vary depending on the course chosen.
- Complete an application for the program.
- Provide official transcripts; High School or equivalent (GED/HiSet) and all prior college transcripts (if applicable for transfer credit evaluation.
- Attend an Advanced Manufacturing Info Session or Admissions appointment.
- Each applicant must receive approval from Academic Affairs to participate in the Technical Studies program.
- Complete a paper application indicating Technical Studies as choice of major.
- Provide proof of high school completion or equivalent and college transcripts.
Students in the Technical Studies Program will:
- Build on applied expertise through selected coursework, gaining knowledge and skills in a specific discipline or clearly articulated interdisciplinary area.
- Attain proficiency in the concepts, theories, and methods of inquiry pertinent to the courses chosen as related technical electives.
- Integrate knowledge of their technical specialty fields with new knowledge from their chosen related technical electives.
- Advance in the development of skills necessary to interpret facts, solve problems, evaluate issues, develop multiple perspectives, and think critically and creatively.