Medical Assistant Training Program
Learn to assist physicians by performing functions related to the administrative and clinical responsibilities of a medical office.
- Program designed to meet standards set by the Affordable Care Act
- Teaches skills required by regional employers
Great Bay Community College in partnership with Core Physicians and Wentworth-Douglass Physician Corp developed a twelve-week Medical Assistant Certificate program of 320 hours of classroom instruction, hands-on lab experiences and a 160-hour practicum at local medical offices.
Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national examination.
- Age 18 & older
- Completed application
- High School Diploma, GED or HiSet
- Interview with medical assisting program team
- Completed WorkReadyNH pre-assessment (Call 603-427-7636 to schedule)
- Prior to the 160-hour practicum – immunizations, health and drug screen and criminal background check will be required before you can attend externship
- 8-week classroom instructional time (M-Th 9-5, F 8-4)
- 4-week clinical practicum in a medical office (40 hours/week)
Curriculum includes (but not limited to):
- Medical terminology
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Technical aspects of phlebotomy
- Cardiac life cycle
- Proper use and administration of medications
- Obtaining and documenting vital signs
- Accessing and recoding information appropriately in electronic medical records
Medical Assistant Program Dates:
- September 27, 2021 – December 17, 2021
- January 10, 2022 – April 1, 2022
- April 4, 2022 – June 24, 2022
- July 5, 2022 – September 26, 2022
- September 26, 2022 – December 19, 2022
Come to one of our Information Sessions [PDF] to learn even more about becoming a Medical Assistant!
How to Apply
Send the following documents to: GreatBayBTC@ccsnh.edu
- Proof of High School, GED or HiSet or college transcripts (highest degree achieved)
- WorkReadyNH Pre-assessment scores. Learn more about WorkReadyNH or call 603.427.7636 for an appointment
After we receive the above documents, you will be contacted to set up an interview.
Job Outlook 2018-2028
- Employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 6% from 2018 – 2028
- The growth of the aging baby-boom population will continue to spur demand for preventative medical services which are often provided by physicians
- As their practices expand, physicians will hire more assistants to perform routine administrative and clinical duties allowing the physicians to see more patients
- In July 2020, the median annual wage for medical assistants was $33,733 – $39,509
Source: Median wage data are from the BLS Occupational Employment Statistics survey.
Learn more about the Medical Assistant Certificate Training program by contacting Business and Training Center or by phone 603-427-7653.