Learn to assist physicians by performing functions related to the administrative and clinical responsibilities of a medical office.
- Program designed to meet standards set by the Affordable Care Act
- Teaches skills required by regional employers
Great Bay Community College in partnership with Core Physicians and Wentworth-Douglass Physician Corp developed a twelve-week Medical Assistant Certificate program of 320 hours of classroom instruction, hands-on lab experiences and a 160-hour practicum at local medical offices.
NOTE: Funding may be available for qualified candidates to help with tuition costs
Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national examination.
Medical Assistant Certificate Digital Badge
Participants who successfully complete the Medical Assistant Program will automatically receive a digital badge micro-credential that verifies their accomplishment and documents their skills. Like a digital resume, the badge can be shared on social media (LinkedIn) and with potential employers.
Upon completion of the program, participants will receive an email with further information on claiming their badge.
- Age 18 & older
- Completed application
- High School Diploma, GED or HiSet
- Interview with medical assisting program team
- Prior to the 160-hour practicum – immunizations, health and drug screen and criminal background check will be required before you can attend externship
- 8-week classroom instructional time (M-Th 9-5, F 8-4)
- 4-week clinical practicum in a medical office (40 hours/week)
Curriculum includes (but is not limited to):
- Medical terminology
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Technical aspects of phlebotomy
- Cardiac life cycle
- Proper use and administration of medications
- Obtaining and documenting vital signs
- Accessing and recoding information appropriately in electronic medical records
Medical Assistant Program Dates
- January 16 – April 5, 2024
- April 8 – June 28, 2024
- July 1 – September 20, 2024
- September 23 – December 13, 2024
How to Apply
Send the following documents to: [email protected]
- Proof of highest degree achieved (HS, GED, HiSet, College) either diploma or transcripts
The Selection Committee will review the completed application and supporting documentation. All candidates will be interviewed for the program.
The selection process will consider:
- Candidates who are 18 years or older
- Candidates who have a desire to work in the medical field
- Candidates who will commit to an intense twelve-week/480-hour program of instruction and practicum
- WRNH program can strengthen your application
Note: if accepted into the program, the following will be required during the first week of class:
- Physical Examination/Health screening, up to date immunizations
- Criminal Background Check and Drug test
NOTE: List of immunizations will be provided with your acceptance letter; background check and drug test information will be provided on the first day of class
Want to get an even stronger start in your career as a Medical Assistant?
We highly recommend taking the tuition free WorkReadyNH course to strengthen your application and enhance your success as an MA.
WorkReadyNH Helps Medical Assistants:
- Improve communication with patients and co-workers
- Enhance customer service skills
- Increase workplace sensitivity
- Strengthen interview skills & improve your resume
Visit the WorkReadyNH website or call 603-427-7636 for more information about the program.
Job Outlook 2018-2028
- Employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 6% from 2018 – 2028
- The growth of the aging baby-boom population will continue to spur demand for preventative medical services which are often provided by physicians
- As their practices expand, physicians will hire more assistants to perform routine administrative and clinical duties allowing the physicians to see more patients
- In May 2022, the median annual wage for medical assistants in NH was $42,870, MA $46,130 and ME $41,400
Source: Median wage data are from the BLS Occupational Employment Statistics survey.
Learn more about the Medical Assistant Certificate Training program by contacting Business and Training Center or by phone 603-427-7653.
Medical Assistant Information Sessions
Join Us In Person
Two session times: 4:15-4:45PM or 5-5:30PM
Hear What Our Students Say…
DID YOU KNOW...
Our students have a pass rate of the CMMA exam of 95-100% the last 3 years – 10% above national average
Over 300 students have been through the program since its inception