Medical Assistant Training Program
Learn to assist physicians by performing functions related to the administrative and clinical responsibilities of a medical office.
- Program designed to meet standards set by the Affordable Care Act
- Teaches skills required by regional employers
Great Bay Community College in partnership with Core Physicians and Wentworth-Douglass Physician Corp developed a twelve-week Medical Assistant Certificate program of 320 hours of classroom instruction, hands-on lab experiences and a 160-hour practicum at local medical offices.
Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national examination.
- Age 18 & older
- Completed application
- High School Diploma, GED or HiSet
- Interview with medical assisting program team
- Completed WorkReadyNH pre-assessment (Call 603-427-7636 to schedule)
- Prior to the 160-hour practicum – immunizations, health and drug screen and criminal background check will be required before you can attend externship
- 8-week classroom instructional time (M-Th 9-5, F 8-4)
- 4-week clinical practicum in a medical office (40 hours/week)
Curriculum includes (but not limited to):
- Medical terminology
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Technical aspects of phlebotomy
- Cardiac life cycle
- Proper use and administration of medications
- Obtaining and documenting vital signs
- Accessing and recoding information appropriately in electronic medical records
Medical Assistant Program Dates:
- September 27, 2021 – December 17, 2021
- January 10, 2022 – April 1, 2022
- April 4, 2022 – June 24, 2022
- July 5, 2022 – September 26, 2022
- September 26, 2022 – December 19, 2022
Come to one of our Information Sessions [PDF] to learn even more about becoming a Medical Assistant!
How to Apply
Send the following documents to: GreatBayBTC@ccsnh.edu
- Proof of High School, GED or HiSet or college transcripts (highest degree achieved)
After we receive the above documents, you will be contacted to set up an interview.
Want to get an even stronger start in your career as a Medical Assistant?
We highly recommend taking the tuition free WorkReadyNH course to strengthen your application and enhance your success as an MA.
WorkReadyNH Helps Medical Assistants:
- Improve communication with patients and co-workers
- Enhance customer service skills
- Increase workplace sensitivity
- Strengthen interview skills & improve your resume
Visit the WorkReadyNH website or call 603-427-7636 for more information about the program.
Job Outlook 2018-2028
- Employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 6% from 2018 – 2028
- The growth of the aging baby-boom population will continue to spur demand for preventative medical services which are often provided by physicians
- As their practices expand, physicians will hire more assistants to perform routine administrative and clinical duties allowing the physicians to see more patients
- In July 2020, the median annual wage for medical assistants was $33,733 – $39,509
Source: Median wage data are from the BLS Occupational Employment Statistics survey.
Learn more about the Medical Assistant Certificate Training program by contacting Business and Training Center or by phone 603-427-7653.