Advising & Transfer Center
The goal of academic advising at Great Bay Community College is to assist students in creating academic plans that will help them achieve their educational goals with timely and financial efficiency.
Academic Advisor Responsibilities
1. Treat all students with dignity and respect and maintain the confidentiality of all meetings.
1. Regularly schedule and arrive on time for academic advising appointments.
2. Be accessible via phone, email, and by appointment, responding to students in a timely manner.
2. Be prepared for your appointment by utilizing the tools provided. Examples include catalogs, degree sheets, college websites and academic calendars.
3. Create and maintain an interactive environment encouraging mutual trust and open communication.
3. Communicate openly and honestly with your academic advisor regarding issues that affect your educational goals and academic performance.
4. Provide students with the information and resources to promote academic progress.
4. Use advising folder to maintain a file with relevant academic materials.
5. Stay informed of current and changing rules, regulations and program requirements.
5. Stay informed by regularly logging into SIS, Canvas and checking your college email.
6. Refer students to services relevant to their individual needs.
6. Follow through with your academic advisor’s recommendations and contact your advisor if anything changes.
7. Encourage students to take responsibility for their academic and personal choices.
7. Use your time effectively, ask for help when you need it and accept responsibility for your own actions.
SE100, Portsmouth Campus
Current hours are a combination of on-campus and virtual.
Monday-Wednesday: 8:00AM to 5:00PM
Thursday: 8:00AM to 7:00PM
Friday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM (virtual only)
“DegreeWorks let me easily see that changing my major to Business Administration wouldn’t set me back to graduate. It helped make the decision so much easier!” – John Smith